Crowns and Bridges
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped, custom-made armour/”cap” that is placed over a tooth to protect the underlying tooth from fracture and to restore both the function and appearance of damaged tooth.
Why is a Dental crown needed?
- To provide protection to chipped or worn-down teeth
- Replace a large filling that is not suitable for longevity
- Stop further damage to a tooth i.e., cracking or fracturing
- After you have had root canal therapy to increase the strength and life of the tooth.
- To cover a misshaped or discoloured teeth
- Aesthetic preference or protection of the tooth, whatever the reason is, dental crowns can protect your teeth and help create a beautiful smile
What type of Dental crowns are available?
There are many Dental crowns available made up of different materials such as
- Porcelain (Ceramic)
- Porcelain fused to metal
- Stainless steel
If you have one or more missing teeth, a dental bridge can be the option for you which can help to restore the look and function of your teeth.
A dental bridge consists of an artificial tooth/teeth anchored to adjacent natural teeth.
Why do I need a dental bridge?
When a tooth becomes missing on the front, this becomes a significant cosmetic issue. When a tooth is missing on the back, the remaining back teeth have to work extra hard, which causes more wear and tear with the risk of fracture in the long term. Also, when any tooth is missing for an extended period of time, the adjacent as well as the opposing teeth (opposite jaw) will gradually move and tilt into the empty space, which can cause:
- Bite problems
- Chewing difficulties
- Decay in teeth
- Gum disease (Periodontitis)
- Pain from extra stress on your teeth and jaw.
- Self-consciousness about the way you look or your smile.
Dental bridge can be the ideal solution to eliminate all the above problems, to restore the smile aesthetics, provide good bite support and prevent teeth from drifting out of position.
Our dentists at Woodlea Dental have been practising dentistry for over ten years and have spent years of further training and have extensive experience in dealing with dental crowns and bridges and depending on the individual’s need, preference and budget, they will provide you the best options
To find out more about the Dental crown/ Dental Bridges or to book an appointment, please feel free to contact us on 03 8657 4999. We will be glad to answer all your questions.